Selection → Expand Selection ⌘e will start from your current selection and will grow every time you press the shortcut. It understands Markdown so it will select things like: bolded text, code block, list item, etc.
- When you don't have a selection it will select the word you are touching with the cursor.
- From a word, it will grow to a sentence.
- From a sentence, it will grow to the entire paragraph.
- When in the middle of a word it's faster to press ⌘e and
backspaceto delete the word.
- Other apps also support expand selection: VSCode, all JetBrains IDE's, Sublime Text (using a plugin).
- For big things like sections and blocks, it might be quicker to press ⌘a (select all) and then Selection → Shrink Selection ⌘u. Another quick approach is to press ⌘l (expand selection to line) and then press ⌘e (expand selection) — can save you a few "expand" steps.